Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cinnamon Roll Cake



It's been way too long since my last post and to make up for it I've got a scrumptious cake for you to try! I adapted this recipe from one posted by Abby Sweets which uses a convenient box mix. I didn't have any on hand so I made mine from scratch. I like the taste of homemade the best and I guess I'm kind of frugal when it comes to convenience foods. They usually cost a lot more than quality ingredients to cook from scratch and I seem to recall recently getting somewhat ticked off that a box of cake mix cost more than $2. That's probably why my pantry was bare of that particular item. Anyhow, either way you choose to make it, this cake will be a hit with your crew.

Cinnamon Roll Cake

2 cups All Purpose Flour, sifted
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
¾ teaspoon Salt
1 ½ cups Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ cup Water
4 Eggs
¾ cup Oil
1 cup Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt

Mix well and pour in 13 x 9 greased baking pan.

Swirl Mixture:
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Cinnamon
Mix and sprinkle over cake batter, then swirl into batter with a knife.

Bake @ 325 for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cake cool 10 – 15 minutes before icing.

Cream Cheese Icing

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Beat softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract together until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, beating well until frosting is smooth. Spread over warm (not hot) cake. Store cooled cake in refrigerator.

Sadly, my point & shoot didn't capture the greatest image - even with a lot of photo editing it just doesn't show how moist, tender and full of cinnamon, cream cheese deliciousness it is. Serve it warm to get the fullest flavor and maximum gooey goodness!

Yum!


PS Hey Growth Group gals, this is the most recent cake I brought to Angela's for the Friday night group.

2 comments:

  1. Elijah helped me make this today. I totally forgot to put the yogurt in! But it was still ok. The frosting is yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are cooking with Elijah. He will have such great memories of times in the kitchen with you. Just think of how much he will be ahead of the game when he gets to college. He will know how to feed himself something besides Ramen noodles and PBJ! LOL!

    I'm making this cake today too for the PO gals.

    ReplyDelete


GreenOnionsGal(at)gmail(dot)com

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Software
I review for BookSneeze


free counters

Faves

Blinkie



Daisypath Anniversary tickers