Monday, July 20, 2009

Fresh Herbs



Earlier this Spring, my guy built a large herb bed for me to plant (the pic below only shows half of it). This is the first year I've grown more than a couple of windowsill pots and it has been a real treat going out to cut fresh herbs when cooking a meal. I feel a bit like a bona fide chef traipsing out to the 'ol herb bed with my kitchen shears and basket. It's so restful to look out my kitchen window as I'm doing dishes and see them thriving. (See, Sharon? I really can grow something, LOL)!



I love braising, it's become our favorite way to prepare meats that are unbelievably flavorful and fork tender. For a time, it was breaking the bank to purchase fresh herbs for the bouquet garni so I'm pleased we planted so many types this year: Basil, Oregano, Marjoram, Thyme, Mint, Parlsey, Chives, Rosemary and Sage. I wish I could have located some Tarragon but no luck yet. Oh, and I've got my sights set on fresh Dill since I've found an easy refrigerator dill pickle recipe. Food Blogs! Oh, how I love all those big-hearted authors who write them and are willing to share their wonderful recipes with the rest of the world! *Shhhhh, in case you didn't know, here in the South there are a lot of fabulous cooks and many, many of them guard their recipes like they were the Crown Jewels!* I'd bet that you know a secretive cook or two like that yourself.



BTW, aren't those ceramic sign thingies cute? Coming soon.....a very tasty Au Gratin Potato recipe with fresh herbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment


GreenOnionsGal(at)gmail(dot)com

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Software
I review for BookSneeze


free counters

Faves

Blinkie



Daisypath Anniversary tickers