So part of the reason I've been MIA from Blogland recently is that there was a flurry of preparation prior to Evan's recent 10 day Oregon hiking trip.
It's always crazy around here before he goes out of town (and while he's gone as well since there is still a business to run). Thankfully, my brother-in-law, Dani, runs the tree crews and does the general managing/troubleshooting plus the occasional climbing along with estimates while I take over the financial and office work. After our "Murphy's Law" experience during the first week this time around, I think he and I both agree that Evan can never take another 10 day trip out of cell phone range again. Not a 7 day either.......a 4 day max limit sounds about right.
My husband is of the "Ultralight" backpacking school of thought, affectionately known as "Gram Weenies", and has the lightest weight gear he can find. It's puzzling to me the lengths to which he goes in order to shave weight. I mean the guy is super strong and athletic. It's not like he's me - for certain I'd need the lightest gear on the planet and then he would probably still need to carry it for me at least part of the time. Hey, maybe he's planning ahead? I'm pretty sure chances are on the slim side that I will lose my mind and take a 10 day backpacking trip anytime soon. I'm really partial to bathroom facilities and beds. Okay if I had to I could skip the bed but not the toilet/running water situation. Hygiene, that's how I roll.
Anyway, no camping stove or pots and pans for my man. He's the "Backpacking Snacking King of the Trail" preferring jerky, dried fruit, granola bars, nuts and chocolate (we're talking lots and lots of chocolate folks) to keep fueled up. It's kind of cute how he starts two weeks out making up little food packets in small ziptop bags and lining them all up according to food type.
I made some Teriyaki Jerky, dried Pineapple and Apple Fruit Leather along with some cookies and bars to eat on the flight out. Dehydrating is time consuming but I like doing it for him and it sure saves some cash, especially on the jerky.
The jerky and pineapple got great reviews but the fruit leather - not so much. Apparently, the taste was good but he didn't care for it's consistency. Apple rings are easier to make so I'm happy.
I'm hoping for at least one photo from the hike but since "Mr Ultralight" didn't take his cell phone, much less a camera, I'll have to hope one of his two buddies snapped one.
It's good to be flexible when dealing with nature on an adventure and despite some snow on the trail issues he had a good trip. I'm just thankful he's home and that he didn't get injured or eaten by wildlife!








No comments:
Post a Comment