Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Chocolate Pity Party

Warning.....Woman Needing to Vent Ahead!

I really, really wanted to go to Barnes & Noble today, hang out, read some magazines, books and just plain browse. Maybe even go wild and get an espresso. Hey, I like to live dangerously. It's been ages since I did this.

For the past several months I've been sharing my husband's work truck for grocery shopping and other utilitarian errands. (It's okay, he's the owner of the business). I can't tie it up for several hours just to hang out somewhere though. Mainly, I'm sort of stuck at home and that's usually not a big problem for me for a couple of reasons: I love home, a lot, and I'm usually too exhausted to go anywhere. But sometimes it's nice to just go do something fun ya know? The only recent semi-fun outing was trekking to the Apple Store last Saturday to get a Macbook (which, BTW, is a very fun machine that I'm enjoying immensely).

Today, I had the perfect opportunity because Evan was down near Orlando for the day and I had the truck all to myself. But sadly, my body conspired against me . For the most part, I've learned over the past 12 years how to live life with a chronic health issue. I can't force my body past it's limits as I did repeatedly for decades or go a hundred miles an hour. These days I can say "no", operate within narrow boundaries not of my own choosing and be grateful for the lessons I've been taught. There are daily frustrations to be sure but I'd say 95% of the time it doesn't get me down emotionally. Except today. Today, it made me sad and I felt a little sorry for myself. There were even tears (and, no, it's not anywhere near "that time"). So, I thought I would post my little pity party and then be done with it. Thanks for listening!

Well......now I need a little chocolate balm for the soul and since I can't eat it or any other gooey, yummy, comfort foods *sniff* (long story), I'm posting two favorite recipes for you to enjoy for me.

Chocolate Truffles

Valrhona, Scharffen Berger, Ghirardelli or other high quality chocolate is best.

2/3 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 Cup Butter, at room temperature
1/2 Pound Semisweet Chocolate
or
1 & 1/4 Cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 Teaspoonful Pure Vanilla Extract (or one of the options below)
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa, Sweetened Shredded Coconut or Ground Nuts (or all three).

*Optional: 1/2 to 2 teaspoons (to taste) of your favorite flavor extract or liquor: Vanilla, Almond, Rum, Coconut, Frangelico, Chambord or Espresso.

In a small saucepan, heat cream over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Stir in butter until melted. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and vanilla until completely melted. Let stand 5 minutes. Add optional flavorings if desired, stir with a wire whisk until smooth and transfer to a bowl. Let chill until firm, at least 4 hours.

Place cocoa, shredded coconut or nuts in a medium bowl. Using a small spoon, scoop out heaping teaspoonfuls of the chocolate mixture. Working quickly to keep it from melting, roll it between your palms into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in coating of your choice. Store in refrigerator.

Optional hard chocolate coating: Cover a tray with waxed or parchment paper. Melt enough additional chocolate to completely submerge dipped truffles. Balance a (plain) truffle ball on a fork and dip into the melted chocolate until well coated. Gently tap the fork against the bowl to remove excess and place on the prepared tray. If you like, sprinkle with shredded coconut or ground nuts. Chill until hardened then decorate the plain truffles with melted white or dark chocolate "stripes" if desired.

Makes Approximately 40 truffles depending on size.


Chocolate Pots de Creme

I made these for our family Christmas gathering one year and one of my brother-in-laws (you know who you are) tried to make off with the plate. So rich, creamy and decadently chocolate it's guaranteed to make you smile!

Yields: (6) 3/4 cup or (8) 2oz servings

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup whole milk
5 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar

*Optional: 1 to 2 teaspoons (to taste) of your favorite flavor extract or liquor: Vanilla, Almond, Frangelico, Chambord or Espresso.

Preheat oven to 325°F. Bring cream and milk just to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth. Whisk yolks and sugar in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot chocolate mixture. Strain mixture into another bowl. Cool 10 minutes, skimming any foam from surface.

Add optional flavorings if desired and gently stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Divide custard mixture among six 3/4-cup custard or soufflé cups or eight 2 oz ramekins. Cover each with foil. Place cups in large baking pan. Add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of cups. Bake until custards are set but centers still move slightly when gently shaken, about 55 minutes. Remove from water. Remove foil. Chill custards until cold, about 3 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep chilled.)

Serve with whipped cream and/or garnish with fruit, shaved chocolate or mint.

For pity's sake - go make these now and let me know what you think. Enjoy!

=)

3 comments:

  1. aww, who says we need chocolate anyways :) we're one of the few who can survive without! ... like mutant superheros LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! Those look good!
    I'm sorry you had a bad day. It is disappointing when you're looking forward to something and it doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete


GreenOnionsGal(at)gmail(dot)com

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Software
I review for BookSneeze


free counters

Faves

Blinkie



Daisypath Anniversary tickers