Thanks to some very generous friends, we had a wonderful weekend getaway on New Smyrna Beach back in March. The water was entirely too cold to swim, in fact, our brief and very windy walks on the beach were freezing cold! I loved it but my honey is not one for cold winds.
What a sight we made, multi-layered beneath our winter coats and wrapped in scarves with hats pulled down tight! The wind was steadily pushing at our backs walking southwards. But, when we turned back to the north, it was ferocious and bitingly cold. Our faces turned bright red!
Just a few houses down from ours a family was out on the beach in shorts, bathing suit tops and short-sleeved T-shirts. I caught a bit of their conversation and I'm pretty sure they were Norwegian. Based on the curious looks sent our way, I bet they had a good chuckle over our bundled-up appearance.
We love New Smyrna Beach just south of Daytona. There is no driving allowed on the sand and it's quiet. Most of the folks you see are either residents, families on vacation or a few surfers. Oh, and if you are lucky, you will see Dolphins!
The house is right on the ocean with windows on the entire east wall. The soothing rumble of the sea quickly works it's magic. As you take in the beautiful scenery and lungfuls of the briny air, peace suddenly surrounds you.
One thing though, the sun does rise early. It quickly gets very bright with the light reflecting off of the water. (The inside photo above was taken before 7am).
Sunsets were over the Intracoastal Waterway but I couldn't get a good photo due to the houses and power lines blocking the view. I did like the one above, taken from the second floor balcony, of the setting sun through the Sea Grape plants.
Naturally, I really like this one as well!
I'll leave you with one of our private jokes. It started waaayy back during one of our first motorcycle rides. Not having headsets and unable to talk while driving, Evan made a "dog" puppet out of his gloved hand to make me laugh. It's stuck all this time. I hope you had a fantastic weekend!









What a fun weekend! I know it's weird, but I actually enjoy walking on the beach just as much when it's cold! Something about the beach! Always one of my fav places!
ReplyDeleteHi Brittany! I like the beach when it's cold better than when it is hot. I'm weird that way.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy for you that once you move you will get to take lots of beach walks!
What an amazing view. Beautiful light. And I love the hand puppet.
ReplyDeleteIt does look like an animal, eh? =D That house is simply amazing, especially the master bedroom on the third floor. I guess in the UK that would be the second floor. It's from that balcony that we've glimpsed dolphins.
ReplyDelete