Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hot House and Roses


Spring departed our area last Friday night and I'm very, very sad. I'll sorely miss the cool temperatures, leaving the windows open and hearing birdsong. Now, the a/c unit is wheezing away and, if our thermometer is to be believed, it was 96 F (35C) in the shade yesterday and very humid! Time to start arising before dawn to get all the washing/drying and baking/roasting/cooking done as well as running all the errands before noon at latest. Then, back home shut up tight in the air conditioned box for the worst heat of the day not to emerge until nearly sundown. November's cool down can't come soon enough for this gal!


My single rose bush went a little crazy this year with 12 buds on one branch! The shot above was taken a few days ago and was the only one that turned out nicely. I've cut the spent roses off and hope it will continue to bloom during the summer. We shall see!


I enjoy episodes of "House Hunters International" quite a lot but I do think the folks wanting to move to a tropical climate are more than a little strange. Granted, they are usually near a beach so they have lovely sea breezes as well as refreshing swimming pools to enjoy as we do not. Still, the tropical humidity would be a deal breaker in my book. As it is, I've discovered my friends and I have been doing the same things lately to keep cool: frequent cold showers, bathing suit tops and staying indoors with a/c on and ceiling fans whirling so fast they are in danger of lifting off. Really, there are only so many clothes you can do without before risking indecency and even at that you can't get cool. Blah! Give me cold and mountains any day!


Wherever you may be and whatever your climate, I hope you are having a happy day........


7 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! BEAUTIFUL roses!! :) LOVE them!

    I just wanted to let you know that you won a prize from our fundraiser raffle. We leave for China next Tuesday, so I will be giving your contact info to the doner of the prize, and she will work directly with you!!

    God bless! :)
    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. yahoo! I'm excited to see you won a prize from TanyaLea!!

    And did i miss the memo that both you and Angela seem to have gotten about posting gorgeous pictures of roses today? =)

    I hope your day went sort of smoothly the day Evan left. How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanya! I've sent you an email. Thanks so much- very exciting!

    Hey Melissa! LOL, that IS funny about the roses (your roses that is since you planted them). Doing okay! Evan is within cell phone reach so we text, email and talk. It's much, much better than when he's down in Haiti and completely unreachable. Physical therapy takes up a lot of time so the week will pass quickly. Thankfully, all is fairly quiet on the FIL front (Ev's brothers have been calling their dad extra this week and that's very helpful). Your mom says you will be coming to town soon - YAY! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, love your red, red rose! That's funny that we both posted roses today. =) We just think alike, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about running errands before noon! I sweat too much getting in and out of the car after that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our friend Angela has a dark vehicle and NO AIR conditioning!!! You guys know the inside temp of a car can get well over 100 degrees. Then in July-Aug-Sept when the heat index is over 100 already and the humidity so high....Wow, pray for her and the two kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear I can't begin to imagine how hot that is! I thought it was hot when we were over there. What a beautiful rose though. Hope it doesn't get to hot to bear. L x

    ReplyDelete


GreenOnionsGal(at)gmail(dot)com

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Software
I review for BookSneeze


free counters

Faves

Blinkie



Daisypath Anniversary tickers