Saturday, April 17, 2010

My Favorite Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe



With the first taste, I closed my eyes, swooned, then did a crazy, happy dance around the kitchen!!! OMG! Finally, a chocolate chip cookie I could eat without serious repercussions to my health? One that is free of gluten, eggs, soy, flours, dairy and all but a smidge of sugar from the chocolate chips? That tasted fabulous and not gritty or cardboardesque? It must be too good to be true, I thought, but I now know that Elana is a genius and I love her more than my 6qt, Epicurean Kitchenaid mixer and that's the honest truth.


Okay, so you normal people may wonder why I'm rhapsodizing about a cookie perhaps? Just imagine that you, a true foodie fanatic, have not had a cookie pass your lips in over a year. Nor, a freshly baked, tasty cookie (gluten-free, gritty, tasteless, store bought cookies aside) in a year and a half. You've baked batch after batch of yummy cookies and numerous other treats for your husband, friends and strangers yet never enjoyed these goodies yourself. Now imagine you finally find a recipe free of "No! No!" ingredients so you try it, all the while thinking it will probably not be so hot compared to the "real thing" which you, sadly, cannot ever have again. And THEN imagine your elation when your taste buds start singing as the first cookie passes your poor little cookie starved lips. Ahhhhhhhhh....joy oh joy!!!


I don't know how, but these gems even taste buttery! My cookie connoisseur husband liked them too, imagine that. I ate a couple six, maybe seven, or was it eight. Hey, they are actually very thin as you will see for yourself when I post photos. Today, I was too busy baking and eating them to worry about little things like pictures, LOL!


One thing, if you have an almond allergy then this recipe won't work for you.












Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free, Vegan) 
*Courtesy of Elana at www.elanaspantry.com
  • 2 1/2 cups Blanched Almond Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup grapeseed oil  (I might try coconut oil next time)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (I used "Frontier's" alcohol-free vanilla)
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar (I used honey)
  • 1 cup dark chocolate 73% (I used “Enjoy Life's” allergy-free chocolate chips)
  1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Stir together wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
  3. Mix wet ingredients into dry.
  4. Form 1/2 inch balls and press onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  (My small cookie scoop worked great)
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
  6. Cool and serve.

If you have any loved ones with gluten issues, I hope you give this recipe a try.

Excuse me please, I hear some cookies insistently calling my name again.


=D

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try it out..thanks, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vera, thanks for visiting! The cookies spread quite a bit when baked so I may try chilling the dough next time. When they come out of the oven you really have to let them cool on the parchment paper before trying to move them as they fall apart so easily.

    I was too impatient to have a taste so I cut away two cookies on their paper, slid them onto a plate and stuck them in the freezer for a bit. I really liked them this way as they had a nice, little crunch. Normally, they are moist and chewy but still tasty either way.

    I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete


GreenOnionsGal(at)gmail(dot)com

Search This Blog

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Software
I review for BookSneeze


free counters

Faves

Blinkie



Daisypath Anniversary tickers