Wow, okay, I did a double take last night while online checking the weather to see how low the temps were gonna drop: the headlines said "Chance of snow flurries and sleet". That had to be a typo, I thought, seeing as how this is Central Florida. I checked the other local news websites and found it was true.
Yes, it's been a record cold snap in both lows and number of consecutive days. Not since 2001 has there been one that lasted this long they say. I do remember snow flurries back in '89 (sounds like an old timer talking eh?) during December. We had rolling brown outs across the area thanks to the enormous demands on the power companies, amazing icicles and the high was 19 degrees F!
My husband and I had just been dating for a couple of months. I remember he drove his MOTORCYCLE an hour to my apartment...yep, he's nuts like that. Once the little heater in my rinky dink car got up to speed, he had a chance to thaw out on the drive to his mom's house in Wildwood. It was on the drive home that we encountered the wondrous snow flurries!
Then there are the fond memories of the evening snowball fight I got to enjoy back in 5th grade while living in Apopka. I'd guess it was about 1975 or 1976. Around 7 o'clock in the evening I heard a commotion with lots of shouting outside. All the neighborhood kids were out screaming with glee and running around like maniacs. I had about an hour of fun before my dad burst my bubble and made me come in for the night. Oh it killed me to stay inside when I could still hear my friends having a blast outside. Seriously, when would I ever have another chance to play in the snow in Florida?
Well, I'm sure hoping to see flurries tonight and tomorrow! Our poor square foot garden may not survive but we've got lots of seeds to start over. I want to see some snow!
Hope you are warm and snug and enjoying whatever weather is in your neck of the woods. Think I'll go make a cup of hot chocolate.
PS Forecast for tomorrow night......Lows in mid 20's with wind chill readings of 11 to 14 degrees F!!!! YIKES!









Stay warm! We're supposed to hit the single digits up here in North Florida!
ReplyDeleteOMG! You stay warm too! Guess the girls who were moaning about hot weather should enjoy it while we can, huh? With it being such a warm winter at the start, I'd never have guessed it would get this cold.
ReplyDelete=)